Pages

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Plot Ideas

Been working on my characters and plot ideas a lot lately in between reading. Reading centers me. I had someone tell me it was foolish to do a lot of reading when you are working on a plot, but really, I think I would have a harder time with my plot if I didn't keep reading. When I read all my thoughts line up and my inspiration hits me harder. My mind will be working from the novel I was reading, already in prime imagination mode and my story will flow in my dreams. My story dreams are the only ones I can ever remember. I see that as very lucky. My eyesight is too bad to wake up in the middle of the night and have to fumble for my glasses to jot down a dream or ideas I had, not to mention how badly I think my husband would kill me when he needs to be up a few hours later. I mentioned before how I had begun working on a new story idea, I am presently up to three, four if you want to be super technical. 

My first plot was the original story I was working with. It will be a mortal boy-mortal girl-grim reaper love triangle. My biggest problem with it so far is my issues with what mythology I wanted to work with as I wrote. I am a huge fan of Norse and Greek mythology so I wanted to work with a basis on one of those and write things through. My indecision is causing my characters to suffer, namely my Reaper boy. His attitude would vary based on the mythos I chose and so not choosing is leaving him pretty vacant. The more I work with it, the more I begin to think that maybe the story just isn't meant to happen right now. I am considering working through it as a short story and seeing where it goes from there. Just, keep it simple. I really want to work with Greek mythology on it, but I feel like that would be better served as a series and I am just not ready for a series yet. I am heartbroken that I am having issues with it, because my mortal boy and girl, Sebastian and Melody, are fantastic. I adore them so much and I want to see them in a story together. I am tempted to steal them away to a different story so they can be brought out now.

My second plot that I have is a mermaid tale. I have been on a huge mermaid kick lately and am disappointed to see the lack of real YA mermaid stories. I am either blind or there just aren't a whole lot of good ones out there. I have two ways it could go, which is why I said I had four plots technically. I am actually leaning on this story quite a bit. It's been consuming me lately. Part of me wonders how well I can really write it though. You see, I have a fear of water. I've always disliked water, sorta. If you want to get right down to it, I love water. I love looking at is, I love being in it, I am drawn to the sea. I just have trouble with large bodies of water. I am great in anything smaller than say, a ten person hot tub. I am fine in those above ground outdoor pools they sell that are only five feet deep. Anything beyond that, and you have to drag me kicking and screaming to get me in it. The beach? Forget it! My husband has been barking up that tree since we met seven years ago. I am the worst Navy wife, seriously, I just can't stand the water. I never learned to swim, I actually failed swim class three times. Bet you didn't know that was possible, guess what! It is! I can't deal with jelly fish that aren't behind glass at an aquarium, I'm claustrophobic so being in the water is terrifying to me, and I can't hold my breath for very long at all. All in all, water and I are so not BFFs. I love water though. I remember when I was a child I used to dream about being a mermaid just because I knew as a mermaid being in the water would be so much easier to me, it would be natural. My lack of real knowledge about the water and diving comes from reading and nature shows so I worry that I would have issues writing about mermaids when I dislike water, such an important part of a mermaid's existence. 

My third plot is actually based on my old book. I have mentioned that I started writing a book in secret when I was ten. I've always liked what I had. I remember the basics of my plot and bits and pieces of my characters. It was originally meant to be a true faerie tale, something aimed for younger audiences, pre-teens and the like. It would be incredibly easy to expand, polish, and change it into the YA romance I want to write. I am having trouble letting go of nostalgia though. I have realized that my plot is basically a perfect blend of Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely series and Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey series. That is not a good thing. My nostalgia wants me to hold onto my story and never let go, but my common sense says that is stupid and that I need to stop it. 

There really needs to be a way to stop your brain from thinking. I need a way to turn off my brain to everything else and force it to make up it's mind and just focus on one thing. 

1 comments:

Mrs. Jones said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Whoever told you that reading while writing is a bad idea, is DUMB! I have read everywhere that to be a great writer you need to read a LOT!
So... Im not a huge love triangle person, usually I get upset bec there is NO way that everyone can win. haha
As far as mermaids though- Oh man! I have been digging some mermaid tales a lot recently!!!!!
Anyways... there will ALWAYS be some similarities in books of the same genre. There really isnt anything you can do about that. I say, if you have a good story, dont stop writing it just bec there is a book out there that has some similarities. Just make it your own!
:)

Post a Comment